If a ‘smart car’ doesn’t fit, neither will your SUV

Routinely checking your car for bumps, dents and scratches is disheartening but a common reality for many students at the University of Miami.

It is common for students to damage other vehicles and casually drive away. Victims are left helpless and enraged, often faced with 17-point turns to back out around illegally parked cars.

Whether students knowingly cause damage and just don’t care, or if they are just oblivious, the issue of damaged property still remains.

This is simply unacceptable.

But you’re in luck. The Miami Hurricane has your back with some much needed parking etiquette…

Pay attention to your surroundings.  Notice if you are parked close to other cars, and keep that in mind when backing out.  It sounds simple, but many students don’t give it a second thought, instead fiddling with their cell phone when they should be surveying the parking situation.

Be realistic when parking and driving around campus. If a tiny “smart car” can’t fit into a tight spot, then don’t try to ram in your huge SUV. Why would you want to risk your car getting smashed when you can evade the problem altogether?

And for goodness’ sake, do not park your car diagonally, or illegally.  It makes life difficult for everyone around you and is also an accident waiting to happen.

In the case that you do accidentally damage someone’s vehicle, be considerate.  If it happened to you, wouldn’t you appreciate a note from the offender with a quick apology and contact information?  Do the same.

It’s important to accept that accidents are bound to happen. However, the fact that many students do not handle the situation responsibly by leaving a note is troubling.  Such a self-centered approach and disregard for others is certainly not limited to only their driving technique.

Students at Miami need to realize the world does not revolve around them and start taking responsibility for their actions.

Editorial Board

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...