Two fraternities under investigation

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

Both the Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Chi and the Epsilon-Omega chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are currently under investigation by the University of Miami’s Dean of Students Office and their respective national chapters.

The investigations of both these fraternities involve unregistered parties.

The incident concerning Sigma Chi happened on Aug. 20 while the event pertaining to Lambda Chi happened on Aug. 24.

An unregistered party is one that has not been approved by the DOSO.

A registered party is required to have security to monitor the event. If alcohol is present, a system to distribute it is necessary, according to Shawn Kacker, the Interfraternity Council president.

At these functions a six beer-per-person limit is required.

The party in question for Sigma Chi took place at their fraternity house. Lambda Chi’s fraternity house was not the place of the unregistered party.

”There is a whole lot of stuff that I am finding out,” William Lake, the associate dean of Judicial Affairs, said about the Lambda Chi case. “I do not know what I believe yet.”

An unregistered party itself would not be a violation of the fall recruitment period. If alcohol was involved during this time for either of these fraternities then it’s a violation of the IFC’s policy.

Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor

Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor

Currently, the IFC Judiciary Board is still being trained. Kacker said that Sigma Chi will go in front of this board but he is not sure about Lambda Chi.

Once the training is complete the hearing should be scheduled within a month’s time.

The punishments can range from not guilty to social probation. This punishment can include a fraternity not being able to have mixers with sororities.

Two UM fraternities were under investigation last year by their national fraternities, the Alpha Omega chapter of Zeta Beta Tau and the Epsilon-Beta chapter of Kappa Sigma.

The Zeta Beta Tau incident was taken as an individual, not a fraternity, matter by the national chapter while the Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma’s charter was revoked by their national fraternity.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...