Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball

Head coach Katie Meier announced the 2009-2010 schedule for the Hurricanes on Friday. They face a 14-game ACC schedule, of which 11 teams advanced to the post season. Nebraska and Texas, two schools from the Big 12, are also on Miami’s schedule.

“This is an ambitious schedule for a young team, but I think my squad is special and will be up for the challenge,” said head coach Meier.

Football

Senior Darryl Sharpton and sophomore Sean Spence were added to the preseason watch list for the highest honor for any linebacker, the 2009 Dick Butkus Award. Of the 35 players on the list, eight are from the ACC.

Hurricanes Alumnus

The Miami Herald reported that Tim James, a former Hurricanes forward and Miami Heat 1st round draft pick in 1999, is currently serving in Iraq. He is stationed 105 miles north of Baghdad and has 11 months left in his tour of duty.

“To be able to support and defend freedom gives me great joy,” James said to The Miami Herald. “A lot of people have died for something many Americans take for granted.”

Information compiled by hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...