Inglourious Basterds more than glorious

Director Quentin Tarantino’s movie, his best in almost two decades,  is nearly  flawless. It’s an energetic and violent, though never gratuitous, film and one is hard-pressed to find something to criticize.

Inglourious Basterds – yes, the misspellings are intended – is the story intersecting groups of characters in the midst of World War II. The most important – the titular Basterds – are a pack of Jewish-American soldiers dispatched in order to wreak havoc on the Nazis. Their leader is Brad Pitt, sporting his best Appalachian accent, who demands 100 Nazi scalps from each of his Basterds.

Pitt may be the only “name”  actor, but the real breakout star is Christoph Waltz, whose portrayal of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa is full of subtle menace and an almost deceptive venom. His win for best actor at the Cannes Film Festival was wholeheartedly deserved, and when his star inevitably rises after this film, it will be well worth it.

In fact, there are no weak links in the cast. Everyone from director Eli Roth to Michael Fassbender and Mélanie Laurent is uniformly strong, a rarity in such a large ensemble film. Tarantino keeps the film – which clocks in at nearly two and a half hours – moving quickly and violently, and it drags only rarely.

Inglourious Basterds is what 2008’s Defiance should have been: an exciting, quick-moving portrayal of Jews kicking some Nazi ass that is actually worth the audience’s time.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Mélanie Laurent
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...