Inglourious Basterds more than glorious

Director Quentin Tarantino’s movie, his best in almost two decades,  is nearly  flawless. It’s an energetic and violent, though never gratuitous, film and one is hard-pressed to find something to criticize.

Inglourious Basterds – yes, the misspellings are intended – is the story intersecting groups of characters in the midst of World War II. The most important – the titular Basterds – are a pack of Jewish-American soldiers dispatched in order to wreak havoc on the Nazis. Their leader is Brad Pitt, sporting his best Appalachian accent, who demands 100 Nazi scalps from each of his Basterds.

Pitt may be the only “name”  actor, but the real breakout star is Christoph Waltz, whose portrayal of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa is full of subtle menace and an almost deceptive venom. His win for best actor at the Cannes Film Festival was wholeheartedly deserved, and when his star inevitably rises after this film, it will be well worth it.

In fact, there are no weak links in the cast. Everyone from director Eli Roth to Michael Fassbender and Mélanie Laurent is uniformly strong, a rarity in such a large ensemble film. Tarantino keeps the film – which clocks in at nearly two and a half hours – moving quickly and violently, and it drags only rarely.

Inglourious Basterds is what 2008’s Defiance should have been: an exciting, quick-moving portrayal of Jews kicking some Nazi ass that is actually worth the audience’s time.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Mélanie Laurent
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...