Soccer

Howarth’s hat trick provides the spark

For freshman Kate Howarth, not starting was a wake-up call.

UM dominated Ball State in a 5-1 rout Friday night at Cobb Stadium as Howarth recorded a hat trick. They were the first three goals of her young Canes career.

Howarth came out strong and motivated to get back in the starting lineup after being benched.

“You never know how they’re going to respond,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “But we always knew [Howarth] was tough.”

The first goal came in the 37th minute on a center by sophomore Danielle Bidegain which Howarth headed softly to lob the ball over the goalie to the upper left hand corner.

Howarth’s second goal occurred less than five minutes later. Freshman Emilie Huser and junior Katie Oddo combined for three quick touches in the box that left Howarth in front of the Ball State goalie, shooting the ball to the bottom left hand corner.

“After the second goal, I wanted to get the other one and try to help the team,” Howarth said.

She completed the hat trick in the 65th minute sliding to beat the goalie on a cross by Bidegain.

The few approaches by Ball State were long distance shots with their lone goal coming in the 54th minute off a superb shot in which the ball curved past sophomore goalie Vikki Alonzo’s outstretched body into the far post.

“We’ve been practicing defense and working on our depth,” said junior defender Brittney Macdonald. “Our defense has been working hard so it shows.”

In the 55th minute senior Beverly Goebel cut through the Ball State midfield and filtered the ball through to sophomore Julianne Rickers who shot the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

After Howarth’s goal in the 65th minute, freshman Samantha Falk capped off the game with a goal off a keeper deflection.

Despite the win, the biggest deficiency for the Canes was offsides. The Canes ended up with 23 offside infractions, while Ball State tallied zero the entire game.

“I was not happy about that,” said Coach Taliaferro, “I think that’s just another level of sophistication because it’s something we haven’t seen before. I think it shows we’re willing to press numbers up.”

The Canes next face Western Carolina Sept. 4 at 7:30 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...