Group meets to discuss programming

Bill Vilberg, the University of Miami’s director of instructional advancement, looked through the school’s course offerings last year but found no courses specifically on programming the iPhone.

Disappointed, but not deterred, he decided to start an “iPhone Development Meet-up.”

These meet-ups gave students and faculty who are interested in iPhone development a chance to get together and learn about programming for the phone.

“I’m not really going to be able to teach them much,” Vilberg said. “They are all probably much more advanced than me.”

The first meet-up was held last year and continued over the summer.

This year the first meet-up will be on Wednesday, Sept. 2. It will be held in Memorial Hall, room 118, from 7 to 9 p.m.

These meetings will be held the first Wednesday of every month.

The meet-ups will include demonstrations on iPhone programming and a chance to network with fellow programmers that can help each other learn about developing applications for the iPhone.

The group is not a club but a more relaxed gathering of students and faculty in a community of interest.

Anyone who has experience or interest in programming is welcome and can sign up by visiting the Instructional Advancement Center page at Miami.edu under the heading “events.”

“Once a month why don’t we just get together and see what’s up,” Viblerg said. “No officers, no business, no responsibilities. Just a group of people getting together.”

Vilberg may be contacted at 786-250-2255 or bill.vilberg@miami.edu.

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...