Big burden to offensive line

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

In light of the news that quarterbacks Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith have transferred, it’s even more essential the University of Miami offensive line work as a cohesive group and protect its starter.

Nothing will be more important than the health of sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris and it will be up to the five 300 pound men in front of him to carry out that responsibility.

The Canes’ o-line will be led by Preseason All-ACC Team senior captain Jason Fox. By the end of the season he could have the most starts ever for a UM offensive lineman.

“That would mean a lot to me,” Fox said. “I definitely set that as one of my goals, and I can do it.”

To the right of Fox will be junior guard Orlando Franklin. Franklin, now weighing 318 after dropping 22 pounds since last season is in better physical condition.

“I expect to try and emerge as a team leader and help out my team as much as I can,” Franklin said. “If we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing, we’ll stay on the field.”

Penciled in right now at center is senior A.J. Trump. Trump has played guard his whole career.

At right guard, junior Joel Figueroa has the most experience for the Canes and will start. When Figueroa is healthy he is a great force for the Hurricanes in the run game. Fig, as teammates call him, has a strong motor and has the physical tools necessary to compete, he just has to grasp the mental aspect of the game.

At right tackle lies the biggest question mark. Fifth-year senior Matt Pipho has been given the nod to start. Pipho received his first real glimpse of college football last year when Fox went down with an injury in the game against Virginia Tech.

“I came to Miami for one reason, to win the national championship,” Fox said. “I only have one year left. I’m not going to sell us short to anybody.”

For more offensive line analysis, please log on to themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...