Summer movies: calling a truce

As the weather cools down in places other than Miami and school starts up again for the fall, it can mean only one thing: the conclusion of the summer blockbuster movie season.

During the span from May to August, films such as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen make more money than the U.S. government can fathom.  Their first weekend of sales determine the success of the film and its marketability as a franchise.

On the other side of the spectrum is the so-called “chick flick.” Geared towards women, its gooey romantic core and attractive couples send those with the XY chromosome fleeing, or even worse, subjected to it because it’s the girlfriend’s choice of movie this time around.

But as a infrequent spectator of the two genres, I’ve noticed that there seems to be much more hatred towards chick flicks. One can find it written in reviews by critics, or on message boards at the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com).

Surely the Terminator Salvation’s of the world are a man’s equivalent to a woman’s rom-com and drama?

While women go to see the latest Rachel McAdams film, now sans Ryan Gosling (see The Time Traveler’s Wife as a reference), men stand in line at midnight to catch talking robots battle each other for hours at a time.

What I am suggesting here is a truce: let women enjoy their amorous fantasies and men enjoy their green screen-filled action films without all the baggage.

After all, movies come down to being one’s own personal preference of entertainment.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...