Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Head coach Frank Haith, now beginning his sixth year at Miami, has unveiled this season’s schedule. It includes 15 games against 2009 postseason participants. The Hurricanes host Atlantic Coast Conference foes Duke and Wake Forest, while traveling to the Dean Dome to take on the reigning national champions, the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Men’s Tennis

Luigi D’Agord, a former Hurricanes star, will compete in the U.S. Open Qualifying Tournament at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. He was named the ACC Player of the Year twice as a student-athlete, and he was also a four-time All-American. D’Agord had back-to-back undefeated seasons in 2006 and 2007.

Also participating in the tournament are alumni Mike Russell and Todd Widom. They were ranked as high as No. 60 and No. 200, respectively, in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).

Baseball

Former Hurricanes Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso have been selected to play in the Arizona Fall League, an off-season league composed of Major League Baseball top prospects.

Women’s Volleyball

The Hurricanes are set to host its opening invitational match this weekend against Florida Gulf Coast, Prairie View A&M, and South Florida. Last season, the Hurricanes opened 13-0, including winning three tournament championships in Coral Gables, San Francisco and San Marco, Texas. All games this weekend can be heard on the student radio station at UM, 90.5 FM.

Information compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...