Music critic, ‘New Yorker’ editor to speak at Books & Books

Music critic and New Yorker editor Ben Greenman takes readers through the psychedelic rise and tragic fall of a 1960s American rock star in his latest novel Please Step Back and will be at Books & Books in Coral Gables on Saturday to talk about it.

Modeled after the real lives of such stars as Curtis Mayfield and Bobby Womack, Please Step Back chronicles the fictional life of The Foxxes’ front man Robert Franklin, better known as Rock Foxx. The Foxxes are a popular San Francisco band that becomes famous during the late sixties and go on to follow the usual firsts of legendary rock bands: first song, first Top 100 hit and first Rolling Stone cover.

While on a high of fame and fortune, the band begins to spiral into the all too enticing world of drugs. Franklin soon discovers that the same culture that has created him has also forced the music to a screeching halt.

Intertwining the perspectives of Franklin and his estranged wife, Greenman goes beyond the life of one rock star and into the time of an American cultural revolution responsible for some of the greatest music of all time.

In true rock star style, the novel comes equipped with a bonus song written by Greenman and featuring music written by Swamp Dogg who also lends his vocals to the track.

If you go:

What: Ben Greenman, whose work has appeared in such publications as the New York Times and McSweeneys, discusses his latest novel Please Step Back.

Where: Book & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Tel: (305) 442-4408

When: Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...