Fla. Bright Futures changes requirements

In a move designed to cut down on spending, Florida changed the state-wide scholarship for eligible students attending in-state colleges.

Bright Futures, the program that awarded scholarship money to Florida students attending in-state schools, will now provide funding to students based on credit hours taken during the year.

For students, this means that dropping courses will result in financial charges.

The recently changed scholarship program will now provide eligible students with $126 per credit hour for Florida Academic Scholarships, and $95 per credit hour for Florida Medallion and Gold Seal Scholarships.

Students that do not make repayment will be prohibited from receiving future funds, or have a hold placed on their diploma.

In addition to these changes in award amounts and penalties, students must now complete 24 credits during the school year to receive eligibility for subsequent school years.

OFSA has engaged in a massive e-mail and communications campaign to make students aware of the changes to the Bright Futures program.

Mason Powell

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...