Dreaming of Paris

It was always Paris. It was always, always the goal – the mission. The place where I needed to be. The place that I only saw once, for two days, but of which I hung up pictures. The place where I knew I belonged – where all of my “strange” qualities and anti-American idiosyncrasies could be accepted as commonplace. It was always Paris.

Before studying and poring over assorted SAT books to get my score just a little higher, way before filling out the common application and struggling to find teachers who would actually recommend me for higher learning, and way, way before taking Miami’s offer of acceptance and ditching my beachfront home for the elegantly prison-themed dorms of Stanford. I always knew that if I made it through two years of college, I’d be setting (proverbial) sail for Paris for an incredible and marvelous voyage abroad.

And now, that exact visit I’d been awaiting is a mere day away. Yes, I’m again leaving my beachfront home, but this time in exchange for the beautifully busy Paris and its surrounding countryside. Yes, I’m using more adjectives than any English teacher ever allowed me to, but I’m excited. So, excuse me.

I am looking forward to sitting in cafés nightly, writing short stories (cliché), and eating all the little pastries my coronaries can handle.  I want to meet international women who blow my mind (no pun) with their interesting influences, watch French films (seriously…), and be immersed in a culture that is as self-important, arrogant, affected and pretentious as I am.

So, I preach – go study abroad. Do it. I am writing this in America. I have spent absolutely zero time studying in a foreign country, but I am willfully imploring you to take a semester out of your short college career and get the hell out of here. I know you need it. We all do. We need some time to be completely out of our element, alone with no one to turn to for the support that comes very easily to most of us.

It’s only then that we can figure out ourselves the most clearly. Not quite a spiritual experience, but one that I imagine could leave you fulfilled, inspired, proud of your own actions, and confident in the person you have become.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...