Football

Defensive backs looking for a fresh start

For years, Miami showed off an envious pool of talent at the defensive back position that made a striking impact on the collegiate football scene. From former Hurricanes Ed Reed to Kenny Phillips, the Orange and Green could count on playmakers in the secondary.

But last season, the Canes as a team intercepted a record-low four picks and failed to find a difference maker.

“We have guys returning like myself,” said senior safety Randy Phillips, who tore his lateral collateral ligament in his knee the third game of the season and was sidelined the remainder of the year. “We have guys that are coming back with more experience. We are definitely looking to get more interceptions this season.”

There is little depth at cornerback as only three players return with experience. Senior Chavez Grant, junior DeMarcus Van Dyke and sophomore Brandon Harris will all compete for playing time.

Grant has two career interceptions, while Harris recorded the first interception of his career in last season’s finale. Van Dyke played very well in the Emerald Bowl, tallying a career-high five solo tackles.

This season, much is expected from Harris. He is the only defensive back returning from last year’s unit with an interception.

“Brandon has been good for us,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He’s a lot better than he was last year at this time, a trillion times better. He’s making plays out there. He’s knocking balls down, got some interceptions. He’s having fun with it. That’s what is different about this team. They’re having fun with everything they do each day.”

Van Dyke feels his time is now. He has only started 10 times in 25 games played.

“I’m ready to explode this year. I’m trying to have that swagger like I had my freshman year to make plays for my team,” he said. “I’m ready to prove all the doubters wrong. We have to bring the swagger back.”

Two other corners – freshman Brandon McGee, who enrolled in the spring, and converted senior wide receiver Sam Shields – could provide support. McGee was the 10th best cornerback according to Rivals.com, while Shields is the fastest player on the team with a 4.20 40-yard dash.

Redshirt Vaughn Telemaque, who chose Miami over the University of Southern California, has been compared by Shannon to Reed, the Baltimore Ravens’ pro bowler.

“There’s going to be really great things out of this secondary group along with the whole defense,” Telemaque said. “It’s going to be very exciting.”

One player that all eyes should be on is freshman Ray Ray Armstrong. With time, he will get the chance to prove his talent.

“I going to do my part to help Miami win,” Armstrong said. “I don’t think about [the hype]too much. I’m trying to work hard and help my team win.”

The secondary feels this season could be a building block for seasons to come as a new batch of players hope to continue UM’s legacy of greats.

“I feel good about the camaraderie,” Telemaque said. “I’m so excited to be part of this team because I feel we can be No. 1 in the country.”

Lelan LeDoux

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...