Alan Fish, former UM VP, dies at 61

Alan Fish, the former vice-president of business services and chair of disaster managementm passed away from cancer on August 22 at the age of 61.

A memorial for Fish will be held this Friday at 5 p.m. in the Gusman Concert Hall.

His name may not be recognizable to most students on campus, but since he came to UM in 1977 until he retired last year, he worked to improve life for students on the Coral Gables campus.

“One of the greatest things he did was making the washers and dryers free,” said President Donna E. Shalala. “His work helped to eliminate the differences between the rich and poor on campus.”

Fish also led the GreenU initiative to make the UM campus more environmentally sustainable.

Fish and GreenU introduced the bio-diesel HurryCane shuttles, created an extensive recycling program, added new energy-efficient products on campus, and started the UBike program, which helps students purchase affordable bikes through the bookstore.

In addition, Fish worked to open Oasis, the first Glatt Kosher eatery on campus.

He implemented the new Emergency Notification Network, which improved communication on campus in the event of a threat or disaster.

“He had a real get-it-done attitude,” said Patricia Whitely, the vice-president of student affairs. “He moved at a quick pace and had a great love for the students and the student experience.”

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...