Sports Briefs

Baseball

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal participated in Team USA’s Championship win over Germany on July 26 in the 2009 Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline World Baseball Challenge. Grandal started and hit a home run to help USA win 8-1.

Past members of the University of Miami baseball team continue to succeed at the next level. Fourteen former Hurricanes are playing at the major or Triple A-level, including Milwaukee Brewers All-Star outfielder Ryan Braun.

Rowing

Andrew Carter, a former assistant coach at Clemson, has been named the new head coach of the team. Marc DeRose, formerly an assistant coach from UCF, has been named the assistant coach.

Seniors Rachel Sporko, Laura Cordner and sophomores Allyson Hodgkins, Sarah Medland, Monika Sajincic, and Emily Wingrove made the All-ACC Academic Team.

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu and juniors Julia Cohen and Bianca Eichkorn were named to the All-ACC Women’s Academic Team.

Women’s Track and Field

Former Hurricane great Lauryn Williams finished fifth in the 100-meter dash in the 2009 World Track and Field Championships in Germany. She was a UM student-athlete from 2002-04.

–  Information Compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced Miami's 2020 schedule on Tuesday a ...

The only school to win the tournament twice, Miami men's basketball team is set to compete in t ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...