Sports Briefs

Baseball

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal participated in Team USA’s Championship win over Germany on July 26 in the 2009 Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline World Baseball Challenge. Grandal started and hit a home run to help USA win 8-1.

Past members of the University of Miami baseball team continue to succeed at the next level. Fourteen former Hurricanes are playing at the major or Triple A-level, including Milwaukee Brewers All-Star outfielder Ryan Braun.

Rowing

Andrew Carter, a former assistant coach at Clemson, has been named the new head coach of the team. Marc DeRose, formerly an assistant coach from UCF, has been named the assistant coach.

Seniors Rachel Sporko, Laura Cordner and sophomores Allyson Hodgkins, Sarah Medland, Monika Sajincic, and Emily Wingrove made the All-ACC Academic Team.

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu and juniors Julia Cohen and Bianca Eichkorn were named to the All-ACC Women’s Academic Team.

Women’s Track and Field

Former Hurricane great Lauryn Williams finished fifth in the 100-meter dash in the 2009 World Track and Field Championships in Germany. She was a UM student-athlete from 2002-04.

–  Information Compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...