Sports Briefs

Baseball

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal participated in Team USA’s Championship win over Germany on July 26 in the 2009 Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline World Baseball Challenge. Grandal started and hit a home run to help USA win 8-1.

Past members of the University of Miami baseball team continue to succeed at the next level. Fourteen former Hurricanes are playing at the major or Triple A-level, including Milwaukee Brewers All-Star outfielder Ryan Braun.

Rowing

Andrew Carter, a former assistant coach at Clemson, has been named the new head coach of the team. Marc DeRose, formerly an assistant coach from UCF, has been named the assistant coach.

Seniors Rachel Sporko, Laura Cordner and sophomores Allyson Hodgkins, Sarah Medland, Monika Sajincic, and Emily Wingrove made the All-ACC Academic Team.

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu and juniors Julia Cohen and Bianca Eichkorn were named to the All-ACC Women’s Academic Team.

Women’s Track and Field

Former Hurricane great Lauryn Williams finished fifth in the 100-meter dash in the 2009 World Track and Field Championships in Germany. She was a UM student-athlete from 2002-04.

–  Information Compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A unique exchange program brought 10 high school students from Botswana to South Florida and the Uni ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.