Volleyball

Journey and new season begins for volleyball team

volleyball2.tt

TANYA THOMPSON // The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami volleyball team finally received the recognition that they deserved. After being predicted to finish ninth in the ACC Preseason Polls last year, Miami has been tabbed the No. 3 team in the ACC this year.

Three Canes were also selected to the Preseason All-ACC Team. Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew makes the team for the second consecutive year while senior libero Cassie Loessberg and sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico receive preseason accolades for the first time.

“It’s great to see our three players recognized,” ninth-year head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “I know how much they have done. We have a lot of the core of the team back which is critical for success and we have veteran experience. We also have a lot of young players that are also willing to step up so it’s a great mix all the way.”

While Mayhew and Carico are a dynamic duo, Loessberg is the unsung hero and the defensive specialist. She is known for her tremendous hustle and determination to prolong plays. Loessberg needs just 189 digs to eclipse the all-time record at UM for most digs in a career.

“The award is on my mine but team success is more important,” the Sacramento native said. “As long as I am doing my job and the team is winning, everything will take care of itself.”

The Hurricanes biggest asset is team chemistry and with the nucleus of the team returning, the strong cohesive bond should propel the Canes to numerous victories.

“We have a special group,” Lantagne Welch said. “We have a strong culture and great team chemistry. The conference is going to be very strong with a lot of great teams. It’s going to come down to the final few games at the end of the season.”

The Canes endured their best season in years last year and look to carry that momentum over to this year. UM had a 12 game turnaround in wins and ended last year with the best single season ACC record in school history (14-6).

Although the Canes had tremendous success, they failed to make the NCAA Tournament, missing out by one game.

“We are a very motivated team considering what happened last year with the NCAA Tournament committee,” Mayhew said. “We have a really special team and we put ourselves on the map. We have a winning culture and we are going to do everything we can to succeed and get to the next level.”

The first match is Friday at 6:00 p.m. against Florida Gulf Coast at the Knight Sports Complex. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM, the student radio station at the University of Miami.

Justin Antweil

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...