Grove Shuttles back in Sept.

Revamped Ibis Ride to return Sept. 24

Last semester, the controversial decision to cancel the Ibis Ride left students without a way to get to Coconut Grove.

The Ibis Ride will not immediately be reinstalled, but the Dean of Students Office, DOSO, has formulated plans for its return.

The popular Ibis Ride Shuttle will commence again this semester with a proposed start date of September 24- this time, however, with stricter rules on student conduct.

According to Assistant Dean of Student Nanette Vega, the reason behind the delayed start date is to give students the chance to adjust to campus life without the shuttle service.

The program was cancelled on April 7 because of recurring incidents of violence in addition to frequent incidents of inappropriate behavior related to alcohol.

Though a student government campaign to “Save the Ibis Ride” did have a small impact on behavior in the shuttles, it was not enough for DOSO to allow the program’s continuation.

“The university has no desire to annually threaten cancellation of the Ibis Ride Shuttle,” wrote Ricardo Hall, Dean of Students, in an email to The Miami Hurricane.

On Sept. 24, the shuttle will run Thursdays through Saturdays, 9 p.m. – 2 a.m., with pickup points at Stanford Circle and the apartment area.

Students will be required to present their CaneCard to be allowed on the shuttle. According to Vega, violators of university rules and regulations will be banned from the service.

“We cannot ignore behavior that places our students and the drivers at risk while promoting a negative image of our students and the university,” said Hall.

“I am very appreciative that the administration kept Student Government involved and in the loop for all of the Ibis Ride discussions,” said Lionel Moise, the student government president. “They were very receptive to the opinions of students in regards to bringing the Ibis Ride back and I am very excited that it will be running this fall.”

There will be no Ibis Ride Shuttle for Halloween this year, according to Vega.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...