Fashion 4word: Back to School Edition

In Miami, fall semester doesn’t exactly evoke images of trees changing color or autumn air.  The heat is here to stay, bringing to mind long sunny days in lieu of schoolwork.  Not yet wanting to let go of summer, students channel laidback beach styles into smart, university-appropriate looks.  It’s all in the accessories.

Sea-Inspired Jewelry

Dreaming of days spent snorkeling?  Coral-design earrings and pearl accents bring you back to your time at the beach.  Line your arms with ocean-colored bangles; the foamy greens and pale blues will inspire calm, reassuring thoughts during stressful pop quizzes.  Create a statement piece with items found at the seashore.  A single starfish adornment on a silver chain will create enough drama to get those fashionistas in Psych101 talking.

Ray Bans

With on-screen cameos in films and television shows like Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Miami Vice, Ray Ban’s Wayfarer sunglasses are an enduring trend.  Though their popularity has somewhat ebbed and flowed with the decades, Wayfarers are certainly en vogue for 2009.  Whether they are worn vintage or fresh out of Sunglass Hut, these shades always have their impressive, desired effect.  Epitomizing the perfect combination of luxury and effortless style, the coveted sunglasses bring a touch of Hollywood glamour to everyday life.

Beach Wraps

Catching some last minute rays when you suddenly realize you’re late for class?  Fear not.  Quickly style your beach sarong into a sundress or pair it with white shorts as a casual top.  As long as the wrap is styled in a classy and appropriate manner, you are good to go.  With a wide variety of bold colors and interesting patterns, even the most discriminating shopper will find the perfect wrap accesory to transition their look from the beach to the classroom.

Embellished Flip-Flops

Though sandals are a common sight in Miami classrooms and beaches, students still covet them.  More popular than ever, embellished flip-flops are sashaying their way through campus.  Taking inspiration from Tory Burch’s popular sandals, trendy undergraduates have stylized their own versions.  Ranging from unique creations of rhinestone adornments, to fashionable store-bought looks, these upgraded flip-flops are a step up from your old Havaianas.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...