V's Take

Dear V: After three years of cyber bliss, I’m left in the real world friendless!

V,

I was in a 3-year online relationship with someone that basically sucked my social life dry. She and I were so desperate to be together that we pretty much got to the point where nothing else was important and we ended up driving all our actual friends away. After a while this started to strain our relationship and we broke up, and now I feel all alone and don’t know what to do. I tried going back to my old friends, but many of them have moved on and with good reason. After these three years I have decided to go back to school and enrolled at UM this semester, but it’s been so long that I have been social (outside of the internet) that I don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Sad in Cyberspace

Dear Sad,

Oh, to be young and in love!  Candle lit dinners, tickle fights, and of course: the nooky.  The loving bonds that shape relationships are formed through shared experiences.  And it is impossible to partake in these experiences online.  You can’t bore your mutual friends with photos from your road trip down the information superhighway.

Granted, online dating is becoming increasingly common and can be a great way for people to find love.  But for any relationship to succeed, things should move along—progress, if you will.  You can’t share your first kiss via e-mail.  You can’t have a date on AIM.  And you can’t [use your imagination here], even with the best of webcams.

It is understandable that you managed to find such comfort in someone so accepting of you, even if that someone was only accessible from a wireless hotspot.  And now, you’ve realized the importance of a life away from the computer.

And now, it’s time for a cliché: Pick your self up, dust your self off, and start all over again.  Fortunately, UM offers a lot of ways to meet people.  Join a club.  Get involved working in the community.  You could even talk to people in class.

People are much less cold and scary than you have them out to be.

Don’t be afraid to be outgoing and kind to peers. Keep up a confident smile, and people will be more drawn to you.  It’s hard to diss a friendly face.

The trickiest part of breakup aftershock is rebuilding your schedule.  As soon as you find a [constructive]way to keep yourself occupied during all the time you would have spent chatting with cyber-chick, you’ll find yourself feeling a lot more confident, and a lot less down in the dumps.

Best of luck!

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...