Transfer student wins indoor national championship for UM

ahoure.db

Heart of a champion: Murielle Ahoure finished her collegiate career as a five-time All-American. Danny Bull // First Impression Staff

Senior Murielle Ahoure attended Miami for just one year, but she left quite a mark in the program’s track and field record books.

During the indoor season, the Bristow, Va. native became the national champion in the 200-meters – the only national title claimed by a Hurricane this year.

“It was amazing. I worked really hard and I’m just glad that it paid off,” Ahoure said. “It was a great feeling.”

The transfer from George Mason earned four All-American honors and even nabbed two ACC Championships in the 100 and 200-meter dashes.

“I’m just happy that everything just worked out for the best,” she said. “To transfer, especially this late, is kind of risky and I just trusted myself, my training and my coaches, and just ran.”

Now, the South Region Track Performer of the Year plans to train at Cobb Stadium with head coach Amy Deem and former UM alumna and Olympian Lauryn Williams.

Sophomore Ti’erra Brown was the other Hurricane to post an All-American performance, the second of her career, with a runner-up finish in the 400-meter hurdles at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

“This year was a little more difficult because I was going through a lot of things as far as injuries and just trying to stay focused,” she said.

Brown hopes to take over the school record for the 400-meter hurdles next season. She competed in the 2009 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships back in June.

Heading into NCAAs, the women’s track and field team ranked No. 13. It tied UCLA for 16th in competition, the best result for the program since 2006 when the squad placed seventh.

“As long as we all stay injury-free we can have a great season,” Brown said.

On the men’s side, junior Cory Nelms took the ACC 60-meter indoor hurdle title and was the runner-up in the 110 and 400-meter hurdle finals in the outdoor season. Fellow junior Mikese Morse was the runner-up in both the long and triple jumps at the Indoor ACC Championships, and competed with Nelms at the NCAA Regional Championships.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...