The last line of defense

Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson and Vikki Alonzo.

There seems to be more than meets the eye when it comes to the goalkeeper for the University of Miami women’s soccer team.

A self-proclaimed poet, Alonzo earned accolades like Southeast All-Freshman Team during her first year.

She started her collegiate career by recording four shutouts in the first five games and finished with a school record 11, shattering the previous number of six. Alonzo also ranks first in school history in single-season saves (114), goals against average (0.88) and minutes in goal (2,055).

The 5’6” public relations and marketing major, who was one of seven freshmen on the team, feels at home in the goal, donning a rather interesting uniform.

vickialonzobg

SAVED BY THE ‘KEEP: Goalie Vikki Alonzo shattered the previous program single-season shutout record of six by blanking 11 opponents. Billy Gilbert // First Impression Staff

“I wear yellow and black,” Alonzo said. “I like to stand out.”

And that’s just what she did since becoming the starting keeper for the Hurricanes and playing every minute of the 2008-2009 season, replacing the program’s most accomplished goalie, Lauren McAdam.

In the first match of the season against Stetson, Alonzo blocked a penalty kick late in the game to preserve the shutout and a 3-0 victory for Miami.

“The most important skill is to be mentally tough and believe you’re the best,” Alonzo said. “If you don’t believe and have confidence in yourself when you’re on that field, there is no point in stepping out.”

A native of Carrollton, Texas, she has been playing soccer since she was six, though it wasn’t until her second year on the club level that she made the switch from forward to goalie.

“I’m very pleased because, as a freshman, Vikki exceeded expectations,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said.

Even if Alonzo writes rhymes as well as she stops shots, an anthology will just have to wait until the goalkeeper and her teammates are satisfied with beating their opponents and making it even further into the NCAA Tournament.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...