The ‘Lowe’ down: vast collection inspires generations

LoweFootball.bb

SIT STILL: This life-size sculpture of a Miami Dolphin football player by Duane Hanson in 1981 is housed at the Lowe Art Museum. BRITTNEY BOMNIN // PHOTO EDITOR

Miami is a city rich with culture, but University of Miami students do not need to look any further than the Lowe Art Museum on campus for a variety of artistic and educational offerings.

Located at the main entrance on Stanford Drive, the Lowe Art Museum contains pieces from all over the world. According to its website, the strength of the museum’s 16,000-object collection lies in its Renaissance, Baroque, American, Ancient, Native American and Asian art.

Entrance into the Lowe is free to University of Miami students. Regular admission costs $10 for visitors and $5 for seniors and non-UM students.

“We have quite a few student tours. [It’s] not just UM students, also elementary, middle school and high school students,” Curatorial Assistant Gita Shonek said.

Students often utilize the on-campus museum, whether to supplement a class or just for extracurricular interest.

“The Lowe definitely changed my opinion on art museums,” junior Christina Crocco said. “I had to go for my English class and I was surprised to see that there were pieces I could relate to.”

Junior Casey Vest said the Mexican exhibit was not only enjoyable for the artistic pieces, but also for the opportunity to sample Mexican cuisine.

“The traveling exhibits they bring in are very impressive and bring a lot of vibrancy to the museum and to the campus,” Vest said.

While the Lowe is beneficial to members of the UM community, it also plays a role in the Miami area.

“The Lowe was the first museum in Miami-Dade County,” Membership Coordinator Yina Balarezo said. “It is very old, so it has very strong member support. It has a big name.”

During Miami Museum Month, patrons’ memberships at the Lowe allow them free access to any participating Miami museum. Lowe membership costs $30 for full-time students and educators at the University of Miami.

“This is a way to enrich yourself,” Shonek said. “It gives you something different to do.”

The Lowe’s new public hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m Tuesday through Saturday and 12 to 4 p.m. on Sunday. The museum is closed on Mondays.

Shonek also cited Miami Museum Month as a wonderful networking opportunity.

“For students, networking is really important,” Shonek said. “It’s the only way to get your foot in the door, especially if you are doing something with art.”

Morgan Miller

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...