Stars of tomorrow call the ‘Ring’ home

COVER.cm

PUT ON YOUR SUNDAY CLOTHES: J.J. Flores and Kaitlyn O’Neill performed in University of Miami alumnus Jerry Herman’s Hello, Dolly! to conclude the spring semester’s run. Chelsea Matiash // First Impression Staff

For a first-time visitor to the University of Miami campus, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre may seem pretty, well, bland.

It’s small and round, devoid of flashing lights or glitzy marquees. Its exterior may not be glamorous, but when it comes to the Ring Theatre, remember what your mother always said: it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

Inside is a stage that has been the launch pad for award-winning careers. For seven decades, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre has been the training ground for the thousands of actors and actresses who learned and sharpened their craft at the University of Miami’s renowned Department of Theatre Arts.

Emmy winners and Golden Globe and Oscar nominees performed at the Ring Theatre before they were famous.

Now, the stars of tomorrow grace the stage.

The current theater was built in 1951, giving the Department of Theatre Arts the permanent home it had been searching for since its inception in 1936.

In the time period between its founding and 1951, shows were performed in a circus tent and in a round building used to train Allied navigators during World War II.

Named for its circular-seating pattern that forms a ring around the stage, Hurricanes affectionately refer to it as the “Ring.”

Its namesake, Jerry Herman, is a two-time Tony Award-winning composer who scored such hit musicals as Hello Dolly!, La Cage aux Folles and Mame. Herman graduated from the University of Miami in 1953.

Today, dozens of students perform in the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre’s productions of Broadway’s greatest hits. The 2009-2010 season, which will showcase six plays, includes Rent.

“It’s such an honor to perform in shows with an excellent stage that has had some incredibly talented people performing on it,” said junior Mike Collier, who has performed in Ring Theatre productions of Cabaret and Guys and Dolls.

Currently under the direction of Vincent J. Cardinal, himself a successful playwright, the Ring Theatre serves as both a classroom and spotlight for some of the world’s finest and undiscovered acting talents.

“It offers a rich tradition of successful alumni for current students to emulate, while setting new standards of quality themselves,” Cardinal said. “University of Miami students see tomorrow’s Broadway and film stars on the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre stage today.”

Danny Parra

Contributing EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...