Season ends before Omaha against the rival Gators

bellamy.ss

Can’t Hit This: All-American closer and Stopper of the Year Finalist Kyle Bellamy saved an ACC-leading 16 games for the Hurricanes and finished with a 0.97 ERA in 30 appearances. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Chicago White Sox. Steven Stuts // First Impression Staff

It’s not how you start, but how you finish.

The University of Miami baseball team (38-22) began the season hot, reaching a ranking as high as No. 2 in the country, but struggled down the stretch and failed to reach the College World Series for only the fifth time under head coach Jim Morris.

“In the first half of the season we got a lot of breaks,” said Morris, who finished his 16th year at UM. “We got hits when we needed them. Whatever it meant to win games. In the second half we didn’t get those same hits. We didn’t come through in clutch situations.”

Despite an early exit, the Canes reached the postseason for a 37th consecutive season to extend their NCAA record.

“A lot of people asked us why we weren’t excited when we found out we made the tournament,” junior closer Kyle Bellamy said. “That’s something that’s a given here.”

Morris and players believed that a lack of team chemistry derailed them as they lost twice to No. 8 UF in the Gainesville, Fla. Regional.

There were 15 newcomers to the 2009 squad, and according to Morris, there was not a strong cohesive bond amongst teammates.

“We didn’t have as good of team chemistry as I would’ve liked, and it definitely affected our team throughout the year,” he said. “It emphasized to me that everybody’s got to be together, everybody’s got to be on the same page.”

With a drive towards a fifth national championship put to a halt, three blossoming stars from the team were drafted during the fifth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft.

Junior first baseman Jason Hagerty was the first Cane selected as the 144th pick overall by the San Diego Padres. He was named team MVP because of his knack for hitting in the clutch. “Hags” knocked two walk-off home runs and belted three bombs in total at the regional as he was named to the All-Tournament team.

The 6’3”, 220-pounder led the club in RBI (60) and slugging percentage (.630), while finishing second in home runs (14).

Bellamy, taken by the Chicago White Sox, earned three first-team All-America honors as he compiled an ACC-leading 16 saves. He recorded 63 strikeouts in 46.1 innings of work and posted a 0.97 ERA.

Returning next season are two top-notch players. Left-hander Chris Hernandez and catcher Yasmani Grandal both earned second team All-ACC honors. Hernandez led the team in wins (7) as the Friday night starter. Grandal blasted a team-high 16 home runs.

“It’s always disappointing when you don’t get to Omaha,” Grandal said. “You have a whole year ahead of you to correct your mistakes and actually be a little bit better. It’s a young team.”

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...