Nationally ranked ‘Fab Four’ aspires to win a national title

In 1964, The Beatles took America by storm when they played on the “Ed Sullivan Show.”

Here at the University of Miami, the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team has its own version of “The Fab Four” in the form of four nationally ranked singles players – senior Laura Vallverdu and juniors Bianca Eichkorn, Michaela Kissell and Julia Cohen.

Vallverdu, who finished runner-up in NCAA singles competition, might be the elder stateswoman of the quartet, but she still sees herself as a younger member.

“I have to be more like the leader,” the Valencia, Venezuela, native said. “Not just because I’m older, just because I’m that way.”

Eichkorn, from Tengen, Germany, collected 40 wins on the season to lead the team and became just the third player in program history to reach the mark. She earned All-American honors alongside Cohen and Vallverdu in singles play.

“I’m a pretty hard fighter,” she said. “I’m fighting until the very last point and don’t give anything to the girl.”

Kissell, whose unmistakable “trademark” is a noise she makes while performing a breathing technique, admits that fellow UM athletes and her hometown Steelers know who she is because of it.

Ranked 52nd in the nation, Kissell claims that she’s the jokester as well as the singer and dancer on the team. On the court, the 5’8” Hostetter, Pa., native won 36 matches for a fifth-place tie for victories in a single season.

“I just really try to fight for every point and not give my opponents’ too many free mistakes,” she said.

But the final piece to the puzzle was Cohen, who transferred from Florida in the fall of 2008.

While Kissell and Vallverdu are talkative, and Eichkorn lies somewhere in the middle, the 5’6” Philadelphia, Pa., native easily fits on the other side of the spectrum.

“I’m pretty shy. I just stay to myself,” she said.

Kissell vividly recalls her first day on campus and the mentality that head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews instilled in the girls.

“I knew that Paige wanted to win a national championship,” she said. “ I was hoping to be a part of something as special as what we’re trying to do right now.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...