Johnson among talent with promising future

Playing in the toughest NCAA women’s basketball conference, the ACC, the Hurricanes (13-17, 2-12) still saw a four-game improvement over the previous year.

Miami faced 10 teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament.

Although the Canes return seniors Lamese James, LaToya Cunningham and Latoya Drake, they will rely on the strong building block of two rising sophomores: guard Riquna Williams and McDonald’s All-American forward Shenise Johnson.

Johnson, also known as “Moe Moe,” was named to the ACC All-Freshman team and was honorable mention for All-ACC. She led the team in most statistical categories, which included her 12.8 points, 7.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.7 steals per game.

The 5’11” Henrietta, N.Y. native became only the seventh player in school history to be named to a conference all-freshman team. It was the first time a lady Hurricane accomplished the feat in the basketball-rich ACC.

“Being named to the team, I felt like I deserved it, but feel like I could’ve done much better,” Johnson said. “As a team, we can only get better. We are getting experience now and can show the new recruits what we learned. Our record didn’t show how talented we really are, so it’s only up from here.”

As fifth-year head coach Katie Meier continues to nab the nation’s best high school players like top-10 recruit Morgan Stroman, she believes that with more experience and time, Johnson and Williams will lead the young Canes to more victories.

“Those freshmen were really good,” Meier said. “They’re going to be great for us in the future.”

After starting off strong with an 11-3 record to begin the season, the Hurricanes struggled in conference play.

Virginia barely edged out the Canes in overtime, 84-74, and Johnson was one rebound shy of a triple-double. Rival Florida State stole a nail biter, 59-58.

Even though Miami’s season didn’t end where the team would have liked it to, it eyes next year as a chance to improve in the ACC.

“As a team, we can only get better,” Johnson said. “We are getting experience now. Our record didn’t show how talented we really were, so it’s only up from here.”

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...