Hurricanes look to rebuild as six runners graduate

andrew_chuplis.1

leavin’ ‘em in the dust: Recent graduate Andrew Chuplis finished his career with two straight season-best times. Courtesy Hurricane Sports

After starting strong, the University of Miami cross country team continued to run a successful season.

Both the men’s and women’s teams placed in the top 10 in four of their six meets, including the Greentree, UCF, Mountain Dew and the Florida Runner’s Invitational. The Hurricanes finished 12th at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships.

“This year we had a lot of success on both sides,” head coach Damon Griffiths said. “Always the team goal is to improve our conference meet.”

Freshman Anna Bona felt the women’s season went well.

“We improved as a team throughout the season, but I know we can do much better,” she said. “A lot of the team was first-year runners, so we needed to learn how to race and become more confident and competitive. We definitely hope to improve this upcoming season.”

Senior Andrew Chuplis attributed the men’s performance to the losses they suffered during the season.

“The seniors ran pretty well, considering all the injuries they had to train through,” he said. “The freshmen adapted well to the jump from 5k to 8k.”

Restructuring, however, must take place before next season begins to ensure a bright future for the programs. On the men’s team, five of the top seven runners were seniors who graduated. Only one senior ran in the top seven for the women.

Coach Griffiths explained that the team expects at least two to three newcomers.

“Some will be transfers, and a lot will be high school seniors that are coming in,” he said. “They come with an extensive background in middle to long-distance running.”

While looking ahead to a new year of success, the runners of the cross country team also found time to reflect on the past.

“I think one of our strengths is that we work together, even though cross country is a really individual sport,” sophomore Emma Steppe said. “If anybody isn’t competing, they are out there cheering you on.”

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...