Carico racks up awards, catalyzes the Orange and Green

If outside hitter Lane Carico can duplicate the success she had in her first year, the University of Miami volleyball team will be in excellent shape.

The Hurricanes enjoyed a 12-game turnaround from last season, and it was not a coincidence the program’s revival occurred once Carico stepped on the hard court.

Carico, a highly-touted high school prospect out of Manhattan Beach, Calif., is a budding star. She was an integral part of four consecutive high school volleyball championships and carried her high school success straight to the Division I level.

This past season the 5’11” outside hitter earned numerous postseason honors, including ACC Freshman of the Year and Second Team All-ACC.

Carico is also the ideal student-athlete. Majoring in business, her commitment in the classroom resulted in being named to the ACC-All Academic team.

“I don’t really care too much about the awards,” she said. “I just care about how the team does and winning is the most important thing.”

As one of just two Canes to play all 116 sets last year, Carico is so versatile she led the team in kills and service aces, and finished second in digs.

Miami’s chances of a trip to NCAAs lie heavily on her, and she credits a lot of her assets to her older sister and mentor Taylor.

Taylor, who will transfer to the University of Minnesota for her senior season, achieved great success two years ago when she was named second team All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association and earned Pacific-10 First Team All-Conference.

“My sister and I are really close,” UM’s rising young volleyball star said. “We call each other after every one of our games. We learn from each other and wish each other luck. [Taylor] inspires me to achieve high goals. My whole family is really competitive so we all aim high.”

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...