Band of the Hour embodies school’s unwavering spirit

bandmarching.1

WE GOT THE BEAT: The Band of the Hour performs its halftime show during a football game at Land Shark Stadium. CHELSEA MATIASH // FIRST IMPRESSION STAFF

Started by Walter E. Shaeffer in 1933 and currently under the direction of Thomas Keck, the University of Miami’s Band of the Hour represents nearly every academic major on campus and every state in the country.

Band of the Hour is comprised of brass, woodwinds, percussion, the Hurricanette color guard and dancers. It is a one-credit art and humanities course available to any student. The group also covers textbooks for its members the entire year.

“It was extremely exciting and probably the best decision I’ve ever made during my college career,” Hurricanette captain Kayla Kasel said.

The season starts with band camp, which begins on August 14, and extends through the end of the fall semester. Members perform at Land Shark Stadium for all home football games, one away game (Florida State this season), exhibitions and a bowl game if the team is invited.

“It’s a great way to meet good friends and take in football games from a different perspective,” Keck said.

Rehearsals take place Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4 to 6 p.m., often on the Yaron Intramural Fields. Members perform three different halftime shows, with this year’s focus to be an infusion of music influenced by the student body’s likes and sounds of Miami. A more traditional performance will set up the football team’s entrance.

“It’s impossible to describe the feeling you get marching onto the field in front of thousands of people wearing orange and green,” Kasel said.

Members take part in the long-standing tradition of “Famous First Rehearsal.” This symbolic first rehearsal is attended by UM’s president and administration, and heralds the beginning of each academic year.

“Many people don’t know that the band continues through basketball season where a select few get to play at the basketball games as well as volleyball games,” drum line captain Victor Gonzalez said.

Students are charged a nominal fee for supplies and instrumental rental. The university and the band department pay for all other expenses and travel costs.

Ileana Hernandez

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...