Where to study on campus and make the grades

The University of Miami offers a variety of indoor academic facilities for studying. However, Miami’s tropical climate makes studying on the campus’ grassy fields and outdoor recreational areas a popular activity among Hurricanes.

Cushioned swinging tables, vast tree-lined fields and the outdoor sitting area at Starbucks are just a few places where students go to study on campus.

“I like to study outside of the library or on the UC Patio,” senior Monica Castro said.

UM’s Otto G. Richter Library has nine floors and is equipped with individual workstations and computers, conference rooms and comfortable lounge areas. Floors four through nine are known as the “stacks” and have private cubicles for studying purposes.

“I usually study at Richter Library,” senior Alexandra Fernandez said. “I like the second floor or the study rooms. It is very quiet.”

Starbucks, located next to the library, provides indoor and outdoor seating areas. Nearby electronic outlets are available for laptop or other electronic use.

Surrounding Lake Osceola, which sits in the center of campus, are two outdoor lounge areas, ideal for both recreational and academic activities.

In each residential college there are study rooms as well as state-of-the-art computer labs. Most major academic buildings on campus also house labs that offer academic resources to study or complete homework.

Students like senior Stephanie Fravel enjoy studying at the Martin and Austin Weeks Music Library, located in the Frost School of Music.

“It is really quiet and there are always open computers,” she said. “And, it also overlooks the lake.”

Camila Martin

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...