The 411 on the Club Sports Program at the university

equestruain

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN: Cortie Wetherhill rides Charlie at the UM Equestrian Team Exhibition Clinic in September at Tally Ho Farms. Chelsea Matiash // First Impression Staff.

Drive, competition, determination, sweat and elation. A certain thrill comes with playing a sport at the University of Miami.

“You can dive right in and get involved through the club sports program which provides students the opportunity to meet others with the same interest, and develop leadership skills,” Chairperson of the Sports and Recreational Interest Club Federation Tommy Kiger said.

The Club Sports Program allows students at any skill level to get involved. With over 40 clubs ranging from rock climbing to SCUBA, club sports provide competitive, recreational and instructional opportunities.

Competitive sports consist of soccer and rugby, while the instructional sports are karate and sailing. Swimming and golf comprise recreational clubs. Some club sports even include a blend of two types of objectives, or all three.

“Some are highly organized while other clubs are laid back,” Associate Director Rhonda DuBord said.

Within each club sport is a set of officers who preside over the club, organize meetings, develop a budget, compete off campus, produce a website and communicate to members. Most clubs meet on campus.

SCUBA is the most popular club with over 140 members and provides trips and supplies members with equipment free of charge.

The Barton Goldberg Family Endowed Equestrian Team and Club is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and participates in competitions. UM hosts an Intercollegiate Horse Show event at Tropical Park every February.

Visit http://www.miami.edu/wellness/club to learn more about the program.

There’s something for everyone!

Rhonda DuBord

Special to First Impression

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...