SportsFest for the ages

COVER.CM

HECHT YEAH!: Students celebrate by holding up the Master’s Trophy outside on the Yaron Intramural Fields as Hecht Residential College finished as the winning residential area at SportsFest for the eighth straight year. Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff

With a 24-year legacy, SportsFest has become the University of Miami’s very own version of the Olympics.

SportsFest takes place one weekend in February every year and matches students in the five residence halls, apartments, University Village and commuters against one another.

Contests range from the typical – dodgeball, basketball and soccer – to the atypical – couch potato trivia, Rock Band and rock, paper, scissors.

It is a chance for individuals from all areas of campus to get to know one another.

“SportsFest kind of gets everyone involved and brings the student body together,” sophomore Trey Ferguson said. “SportsFest is one of the best events the University of Miami has. Everyone has a good time.”

Things began when Hecht, then the Honors Residential College, challenged Stanford, then the Residential College, to an athletic competition. Ever since, the rest of campus joined the fray for bragging rights.

Opening ceremonies start the games with a torch run that begins at Mahoney and Pearson Residential Colleges and travels around Lake Osceola as each college’s representative runs a leg. The previous year’s champion carries the torch on the final leg to the Rathskeller.

Closing ceremonies begin immediately after the tug-of-war event which takes place on Sunday. At this, the winning men’s and women’s teams are awarded the Master’s Trophy, which is displayed at the Wellness Center.

Some students have grown tired of Hecht’s dominance over the past eight years.

“It has been hard losing to Hecht. They keep winning,” junior Miles Dotson said. “Every year I have been here they have won. But one year Stanford or another team on campus will end their streak.”

The event is often perceived to be geared toward freshmen since the majority of the teams form within the Stanford and Hecht towers, which primarily house first-year students. It’s rare for a floor to not sign up as a team.

“There are so many events to do and I really enjoy it,” sophomore Jessica LeSage said. “Everyone gets involved and it’s competitive.”

Lelan LeDoux

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...