Personal training among best-paid campus jobs

nadiafront

WORK IT OUT: Nadia Zebouni, a personal trainer at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, takes time to stretch with her client before they go off on a brisk run to start their customized exercise routine. Tanya Thompson // First Impression Staff

Junior Nadia Zebouni has one of the best-paying student jobs on campus.

She doesn’t have to file papers, type reports or serve food. And her work attire is pretty casual: gym shorts, a pullover shirt and tennis shoes.

Zebouni is one of 15 certified personal trainers at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center who helps members of the university achieve their fitness goals.

“My favorite part of the job is getting to help people and work one-on-one with them,” she said. “It’s easy because I live on campus, and I love seeing people get the same enjoyment out of working out as I do.”

Her clientele varies greatly in age as well as in reasons for hiring a trainer. Among them, there are runners hoping to improve on marathon times and those striving to learn how to properly tone muscles and use the center’s equipment effectively.

Senior Patricia Martini is one of Zebouni’s clients.

“Nadia is the best,” she said. “She’s in such great physical shape and she plays such a huge role in my motivation. I like working with her because she makes sure I’m doing everything right and working the right muscles.”

Zebouni and other trainers are certified by the National Council on Strength & Fitness and receive continuing education to stay up-to-date on the latest techniques.

“Personal trainers are the highest paid on-campus job,” said Desiree Adderley, assistant director of Fitness and Personal Training. “Plus, once you become certified, you’re a trainer for life as long as you renew your certification every two years.”

Wellness Center members may purchase single training sessions or a group of eight sessions for the cost of seven. Prices vary depending on membership status. Adderley did not comment on the exact amount that trainers are paid, though a search for student employment opportunities on myUM found that personal trainers are paid between $10 and $15 an hour.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...