Herbert Wellness Center: not just another gym

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art exercise athletic facility that is many UM students’ haven for health and stress relief during the strenuous academic year.

Since 1996, the center has served recreational and fitness needs. The center is conveniently located near the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

Just the Facts

Students must bring their ‘Cane Card to be admitted into the Wellness Center. Students planning to exercise in the fitness room should bring a towel, or plan to purchase towel service at the center’s Pro Shop

The center’s facilities include:

• A fitness room stocked with well-maintained cardio and weight equipment
  • A pool designed for laps and aerobics
  • A spa and two saunas
  • Racquetball courts, which can be reserved in advance
  • A large gymnasium that contains a jogging/walking track and three full basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts
  • A smaller gymnasium made for indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball or badminton
  • Two squash courts
  • An instructional kitchen designed for cooking classes and events
  • A studio cycling room
  • Two classrooms
  • A conference room
  • A juice bar that offers health food choices and smoothies
  • The William Butler Atrium lounge area
  • Locker rooms and showers
  • A fitness lab
  • Multi-purpose rooms for group exercise, martial arts and more
  • Outside facilities include:
  • Tennis courts
  • Michael Yaron Building, which stores intramural equipment
  • Illuminated playing fields for evening intramural sports
  • George Smathers Courtyard

Fitness classes

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s fitness class schedule includes Cardio Kickboxing, Strength Interval, Yoga, Studio Cycling, Guts N’ Butts and a variety of dance and stretch classes. Sign up at the Wellness Suite located on the second floor of the center.

CHAMP

(Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program) is a peer-based fitness/wellness program that is free to UM students. Students receive a fitness assessment followed by peer-based counseling and follow-up assessments.

An instructional kitchen offers students the chance to learn from a local chef about how to prepare simple meals and make healthy food choices.

Discussions and forums pertaining to relevant topics such as binge drinking, smoking cessation, date rape and sexual responsibility serves to spread awareness that may lead to responsible choices.

The fitness lab is staffed and equipped to perform fitness tests, including body fat composition, blood pressure screening and VO max tests.

The Wellness Center also offers 30 intramural sports. With most of these activities you don’t have to be experienced at all to join, and you can decide whether you want to play competitively or recreationally.

Hours of operation

During the academic year, the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is open Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Access for the fall semester begins on the first day of orientation.

Rhonda DuBord

Special to First Impression

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...