A look at parking and transportation at the ‘U’

Hurry'Cane.bb

THE WHEELS ON THE BUS: The Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle makes its way along Dickinson Drive, taking students around campus and closer to their classes. BRITTNEY BOMNIN // PHOTO EDITOR

In the beginning of the 2008-2009 academic year a new rule was implemented for first-year residents.

“No first-year residents are allowed to park their vehicles on campus nor will a parking permit be sold to them,” Parking Associate in Customer Service Jacqueline LaFarga said.

There are a few exceptions.

“The only way that first-year students can park their cars on campus is if they are commuters or transfer students that have more than 30 credits,” Director of Parking and Transportation Richard Sobaram said.

For those on campus, the university offers a shuttle service that circumnavigates the campus.

UMshuttles.com enables students to log on from a computer or their cell phone with internet connectivity and track the shuttles. This service displays the buses by GPS and estimates the time the buses get to their designated stops. The usual wait time for the Hurry ‘Canes Shuttle to come around is estimated at seven minutes.

“As a freshman, I thought not having a car was going to be a mission, but because of the university’s shuttle service, it’s allowed me to be worry and hassle-free,” sophomore Pamela Korinos said.

Zipcar is the world’s largest provider for cars at hourly rates of just $8 that includes both gas and insurance. These cars can be reserved via telephone or on the internet. The annual fee to become a Zipcar member is just $35.

“Hopefully with this service, traffic can be minimized around campus,” junior Blanca Rivera said.

For a variety of brochures and questions directed to customer service, visit the first floor of the Ponce de Leon Parking Garage where the Parking and Transportation Office is located.

Johnathan Beauchamps

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...