2008 election stirred interest

mattdamon.mw

BOURNE SUPPORTER: Actor Matt Damon, from movies such as Ocean’s Eleven and Good Will Hunting, came to the University of Miami to speak at a rally in support of Barack Obama before the 2008 Presidential Election. Michelle Wallace // First Impression Staff

Political organizations at the University of Miami allow students to learn and promote the objectives of political parties.

Students who are interested in becoming politically active within their affiliated party or simply want to learn more about party policies and platforms can join groups like the University of Miami Young and College Democrats or UM College Republicans. Both groups seek to involve members in the activities of their respective parties, and to spread awareness of their party’s views throughout campus.

“We try to get our name out at Canesfest and the other major organization showcases,” said Chris Johnson, chair of UM College Republicans. “We also table on certain days in the UC Breezeway.”

While the two organizations’ beliefs may differ, the groups share the same overall goal of strengthening ties between students and politics.

Those in the political organizations can expect to take part in weekly meetings, community service projects and debates like the one held between the two groups just before the 2008 presidential election.

As a community, UM also witnessed just how influential these organizations can be on campus. The University of Miami Young and College Democrats brought in speakers such as actor Matt Damon to encourage students to vote. The UM College Republicans helped run Sen. John McCain’s visit to the BankUnited Center.

“The most important thing to know is that our groups can actually change things and that we as a generation can create a new path,” said Jason Stevens, last year’s president of the University of Miami Young and College Democrats.

Even with the presidential election behind them, things will be busy for the UM College Republicans.

“This coming year will be a great year to become involved in politics,” Johnson said. “With the republican primaries for both senate and governor coming up, we are working to have the two main contenders come on campus as well as the candidates for governor.”

Students interested in more information can visit www.umdemocrats.com or the Facebook group UM College Republicans.

Andrew Appolonia

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...