‘Book’store more than that

Bookstore.bb

FROM AUSTEN TO SEBASTIAN: The two-story University of Miami Bookstore sells everything from classic literature to your favorite Hurricane merchandise and apparel, and even buys back old textbooks. BRITTNEY BOMNIN // PHOTO EDITOR

At UM, books are just one of the hundreds of products students, members of the university community and visitors can find.

Right in the heart of the University Center, the bookstore offers customers a vast array of Hurricane merchandise and apparel.

More importantly, the bookstore seems to keep up with society’s flow – updating clothes, electronics, magazines, books and other merchandise to fit with current popular trends and technology.

“The UM Bookstore staff stays in tune with the campus and community issues,’’ Director Wendy Smith said. “Behind the bookstore, there is an army of buyers, techies and other support people who provide this store with new and used textbooks in astonishing quantities.”

Now, it keeps up with the current technology trends more than ever, providing customers with a website, www.miami.edu/bookstore, which allows students to make all of their necessary purchases online instead of on location.

Students and visitors are granted easy access to hundreds of more products that are not available in the store. It also informs viewers about current offers and events.

“Ordering my books online has made my life so much easier,” senior Aileen Schefer said. “The website is just so much easier all around. You don’t have to spend forever searching for your textbooks in the store.”

At a typical visit to the library section, customers can get copies of popular gossip magazines, ink for their printer or jewelry for a special someone.

“The products offered in the store are endless – apart from the core textbooks needed for class – we offer professional reference titles, school and dorm supplies, general reading books, computer software, UM apparel and gifts,” Smith said.

Students also have the ability to use their ‘Cane Cards as a purchasing method when at the bookstore.

“They say Visa’s accepted everywhere, but at Miami, the weapon of choice comes in the form of the ultra-trendy personalized ‘Cane Card,” junior William Frohbose said. “It’s both chic and dependable.”

To avoid lines when buying textbooks, find out ahead of time which you need and buy them before classes start. A year-round buyback program allows students to return many of their textbooks to the bookstore for money back.

The bookstore is open 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays.

Michelle Powers

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...