Study abroad programs at Miami cover six continents

IMG_4491.1

IT’S A SMALL WORLD: Junior Ellen Oshinsky stands in front of Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi, Vietnam while studying abroad over the summer. Courtesy Ellen Oshinsky.

Taking advantage of the study abroad programs offered by the University of Miami is an opportunity that many should snatch up.

Lorena Inclan, a recent graduate at UM, went to Spain two years ago and said she still keeps in touch with her friends from overseas.

“I don’t think anyone should graduate college without studying abroad,” she said. “I learned so much about myself and the world while I was in Spain.”

The hardest part might be choosing where to go.

Choices range from Australia, China, England and South Korea to Argentina, France, Mexico and Switzerland. New programs such as UPrague and UGalilee are actually taught by UM professors.

Options are endless.

Most programs are taught in English, but enrolling in a program taught in a foreign language is also possible. One can choose to study for a semester or a year at one of the 80 partner institutions in 33 countries around the world.

“I want to go anywhere that can enhance my knowledge when it comes to culture and languages,” sophomore Stephanie Ruiz said. “My friends say Argentina is a really great place to go because it’s like a Spanish cake with European icing.”

One can also choose classes coordinated by a specific major or a faculty member who is leading the course. According to Elyse Resnick, assistant director of international education and exchange programs, in the end it all comes down to the academics.

“You have to hit the ground running and be up for the challenge,” she said.

If finances are an issue, most forms of UM financial aid are available. Scholarships and financial aid provided by the university, which are received when normally enrolled at the university, are accepted just the same.

Diana Escobar

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...