School of Music boasts internationally known faculty

Gusman.bb

BLOWIN’ IN THE WIND: The Frost Wind Ensemble performs a concert at the Gusman Concert Hall during the spring semester for the Frost School of Music. COURTESY FROST SCHOOL OF MUSIC

“It’s not a cliché; we really are like a family,” Dean Shelton Berg of the Frost School of Music said.

The University of Miami Frost School of Music was founded in 1926. For over 80 years, it has been a place full of people passionate about one common thing: music.

“It’s a hard school to be in, but your passion will make it easier,” said Ashley Armstrong, a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Like many, when she first got to UM, Armstrong knew she loved music but didn’t know if that would be enough. She was unsure about whether she could improve her skills.

“I was kind of intimidated just because during orientation they make you take a bunch of theory tests and hearing tests; it’s to put you at your level,” Armstrong said. “I’ve already improved so much so that by graduation I’ll have these things down.”

She also attributes her quick success and improvements to her professors who have been more than helpful.

“All the teachers I’ve had I’ve really enjoyed working with,” Armstrong said. “They are really talented and know their stuff. They’re really helpful.”

Of course, with a faculty comprised of former members of the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, the Miami Sound Machine and the World Symphony Orchestra, it doesn’t come as a surprise.

And the Frost School of Music not only has notable professors, but top-notch programs that are available to students.

These programs include the Stamps Family Distinguished Visitor Series, which helps bring well-known musicians to UM, Festival of Miami, an annual music festival, and a program that brings the Cleveland Orchestra to play with students.

The school of music is also a huge part of Category 5, a publishing company, and ‘Cane Records, the university’s own record label.

Cristy Verdeja

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...