On-campus employment puts cash in your pocket

In these rough economic times, we can all use a bit more cash in our pocket to pay for things like tuition, books, dorm appliances and food. All that combined with the fact that Miami is a major U.S. city with somewhat inflated prices will certainly add to your need to have a few extra bucks.

If you’re looking for a job, searching for on-campus opportunities is always a good place to start. The University of Miami offers a number of different jobs in its various academic colleges, departments and other locations.

“I began working as a freshman even though I’m from Miami; my mom still wanted me to work and make a bit of cash on the side,” junior Derek Busto said. “But working has also added a different side of college to my life.”

Busto currently works in the School of Business Administration as a student assistant. He runs small errands such as copying class materials and taking phone calls for the professors.

“It’s definitely diversified my responsibilities and experiences,” Busto said.

He, like so many other students at the university, found his job online through UM’s website in the job search service.

To begin, try logging onto www.miami.edu/myum and click on the “life” tab. If you scroll down, you’ll see a small box titled “Student Employment” that allows you to search for Federal Work Study, Graduate Assistant and Student Assistant programs that are available throughout the campus. You can also click on “view student earnings” to see how much money you’ve made so far.

A direct deposit option is available under the “employee” tab in myUM where your earnings are automatically deposited into an account you’ve indicated.

Sometimes, however, getting a job on campus is about who you know.

“A friend of mine told me that I would be a good fit for his job once he left,” said senior Danny Casamayor, who currently works at the law school as a student assistant. “Working has definitely been a great experience for me. You get to meet a lot of new people and interact with the administration and see how the university works.”

There are several jobs available outside of the academic colleges. Offices like the Smith-Tucker Involvement Center, the Academic Resource Center, Butler Center for Service and Leadership (all three of which are on the second floor of the University Center), the Otto G. Richter Library and the Information Technology Department (Ungar building) are all good places to search because they employ several students.

Student organizations such as The Miami Hurricane and The Ibis yearbook also pay students who write articles, take photos or contribute to their publications. To get involved, simply stop by their offices on the second floor of the University Center.

Pay for the job depends on who employs you. There are full and part-time jobs, each with varying pay rates and hours. Some departments will only hire Federal Work Study or Miami Commitment program students, while others will hire student assistants on their own. Each employer, academic department or administrative office usually has their own rules as to pay, hours and academic requirements, so be sure to clarify these with your potential employer.

“In August, minimum wage will be at $7.25,” Director of the Office of Student Employment Grisel Valdes said. “Depending on the employee’s skills and responsibilities, that wage can go up.”

The Office of Student Employment oversees the university’s job opportunities and tries to connect students to jobs that they are interested in. Its website, www.miami.edu/ose, gives tips and advice to those that are interested in finding a job and representatives may be able to help you by putting you in contact with a potential employer.

“Working while going to school is a very good thing because it can give you different experiences that you will get outside of the classroom,” Valdes said.