Miller School among best training facilities in country

The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top medical training facilities.

With six specialties listed among the top in the country, including the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, which has been listed as the number one hospital for ophthalmology for five years in a row, Miller is Florida’s largest and most selective medical school.

Founded in 1952, Miller is the only academic center serving South Florida. Today, the center serves one million patients annually from South Florida, South America and the Caribbean.

Located in downtown Miami, the 153-acre campus is home to three University-owned hospitals: University of Miami Hospital, Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital and the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Also on the medical campus are Holtz Children’s Hospital, the Miami VA Medical Center and the world-renowned Jackson Memorial Hospital. All six hospitals provide extensive hands-on experience for students.

Research is also a major component of the Miller School of Medicine’s world. According to its website, it has “more than 1,300 ongoing projects funded by more than $180 million in external grants and contracts to UM faculty. The school ranks in the top-third among U.S. medical schools in terms of research funding awarded.”

Students find themselves engrossed in one of the most diverse and comprehensive medical programs in the country. One such student, Raveesh Richard, is a third-year medical student.

He said he chose the Miller School of Medicine after being offered the opportunity to combine his first year of medical school with his last year of undergraduate studies. He also has found Miller to be exactly what he needs to succeed as a doctor.

“Miller School of Medicine is one of the top-ranked medical schools in this country and also gives exposure to patients of all varying backgrounds, histories and medical issues,” Richard said. “Where else do you find one of the busiest hospitals in the country [Jackson Memorial], a level one trauma center [Ryder], the world-leading eye institute [Bascolm Palmer] and a melting pot of doctors, students and patients?”

As well as providing a top-level education for its students, Miller treats more than a million people each year as the only academic medical center in South Florida.

And that care and education extends even further through the University of Miami’s Telemedicine, which provides both quick and timely diagnosis and therapy, as well as higher education to physicians all over the world through the use of webcam technology.

For more information on the school, admissions or a complete list of over 100 departments and centers, visit its website at www.med.miami.edu.

LIFE SCIENCE PARK

The University of Miami broke ground in July on a new Life Science Park located near the Miller School of Medicine. The multi-purpose facility will house established and start-up companies that partner with UM scientists and doctors.

UM expects the park to have a significant economic and scientific impact in South Florida. The predicted result includes the creation of 4,531 new jobs and an approximate $253 million annual economic output.

A rain garden canopy, which will be cooled by a 60-foot waterfall, will make the project a contender for an award from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).

Ultimately, the Life Science Park will include a total of six buildings encompassing two million square feet of space. The opening of the first building is planned for early 2011.

– Megan Terilli

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...