Miller School among best training facilities in country

The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top medical training facilities.

With six specialties listed among the top in the country, including the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, which has been listed as the number one hospital for ophthalmology for five years in a row, Miller is Florida’s largest and most selective medical school.

Founded in 1952, Miller is the only academic center serving South Florida. Today, the center serves one million patients annually from South Florida, South America and the Caribbean.

Located in downtown Miami, the 153-acre campus is home to three University-owned hospitals: University of Miami Hospital, Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital and the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Also on the medical campus are Holtz Children’s Hospital, the Miami VA Medical Center and the world-renowned Jackson Memorial Hospital. All six hospitals provide extensive hands-on experience for students.

Research is also a major component of the Miller School of Medicine’s world. According to its website, it has “more than 1,300 ongoing projects funded by more than $180 million in external grants and contracts to UM faculty. The school ranks in the top-third among U.S. medical schools in terms of research funding awarded.”

Students find themselves engrossed in one of the most diverse and comprehensive medical programs in the country. One such student, Raveesh Richard, is a third-year medical student.

He said he chose the Miller School of Medicine after being offered the opportunity to combine his first year of medical school with his last year of undergraduate studies. He also has found Miller to be exactly what he needs to succeed as a doctor.

“Miller School of Medicine is one of the top-ranked medical schools in this country and also gives exposure to patients of all varying backgrounds, histories and medical issues,” Richard said. “Where else do you find one of the busiest hospitals in the country [Jackson Memorial], a level one trauma center [Ryder], the world-leading eye institute [Bascolm Palmer] and a melting pot of doctors, students and patients?”

As well as providing a top-level education for its students, Miller treats more than a million people each year as the only academic medical center in South Florida.

And that care and education extends even further through the University of Miami’s Telemedicine, which provides both quick and timely diagnosis and therapy, as well as higher education to physicians all over the world through the use of webcam technology.

For more information on the school, admissions or a complete list of over 100 departments and centers, visit its website at www.med.miami.edu.

LIFE SCIENCE PARK

The University of Miami broke ground in July on a new Life Science Park located near the Miller School of Medicine. The multi-purpose facility will house established and start-up companies that partner with UM scientists and doctors.

UM expects the park to have a significant economic and scientific impact in South Florida. The predicted result includes the creation of 4,531 new jobs and an approximate $253 million annual economic output.

A rain garden canopy, which will be cooled by a 60-foot waterfall, will make the project a contender for an award from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).

Ultimately, the Life Science Park will include a total of six buildings encompassing two million square feet of space. The opening of the first building is planned for early 2011.

– Megan Terilli

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...