Luis Guzmán pushes ‘Pelham’ train

You’ve seen him in Out of Sight, Boogie Nights, Traffic, and Waiting – just to name a few. He’s been sought out by Hollywood’s most talented and successful directors for nearly two decades. You may have even heard his voice in the Grand Theft Auto video games. Yet actor Luis Guzmán is unaware of his ubiquity.

“I’m never going to have one of my fanaticals going on YouTube [yelling my name],” says Guzmán.

But a quick search for Guzmán on the popular video site results in 3,250 videos, most of which are interviews, candid moments, movie trailers, or scenes featuring the actor.

Several of those videos feature the trailer from The Taking of Pelham 123, in theaters now. Guzmán co-stars in the Tony Scott film with heavy hitters Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

The movie is a remake of a 1974 film and a 1998 TV movie, but Guzmán is quick to point out the differences. Unlike the earlier interpretations and the John Godey novel on which all three films are based, the new Pelham tells the story of a train being hijacked in post-9/11 New York, where technology and fresh memories of terrorist attacks change the given circumstances.

“The original Pelham 123 was one of my favorite movies,” Guzmán says. “But this particular one was reinvented to work the times of the day. The original movie was about hostages and money. In this movie, even though you’re holding hostages, there was a way bigger plan than $10 million.”

In the film, Guzmán plays one of the men assisting Ryder (Travolta) in taking New York subway passengers hostage. Washington plays Walter, the unsuspecting train dispatcher who finds himself negotiating with Ryder for the passengers’ release.

Guzmán, who has worked with Scott before, said he loved the director’s idea to have “four or five” camera simultaneously shooting every take.

“It’s amazing when you watch him and he’s watching all those cameras and talking to every single camera operator [saying], ‘Okay, move back. Go in. Widen the shot.’ That’s like being a conductor of an orchestra,” Guzmán said.

It may have been a stretch for Guzmán, a former social worker, to play a hijacker. But the New Yorker is no stranger to the metropolis’ subway system.

“I’ve rode trains all my life – till this day,” he says. “My friends say, ‘You’re crazy man. You should call a car service.’ But I’ll get there faster on the train.”

June 15, 2009

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...