Tennis

Blue Devils win rematch 4-1, end Miami’s season

The rematch was set.

After losing 4-3 to No. 3 Duke in the ACC Championship on April 19, No. 6 Miami kept an eye on the NCAA bracket for a potential matchip against the Blue Devils in the quarterfinals.

Unfortunately for the Hurricanes (26-5), the wait didn’t lead to revenge as Duke (27-3) cruised 4-1 and won its 16th consecutive match Sunday afternoon after a rain delay at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas.

Three of Miami’s four nationally-ranked singles players dropped their matches, and the women’s tennis team also lost the doubles point.

“I was very confident going into the singles,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I don’t believe that there are too many teams that still can beat us in singles, but like I told the girls, as this tournament progresses, the doubles point is going to become more important.”

UM fell to 3-5 against teams ranked in the Top 10 this season. The loss was just the team’s second in its past 17 matches, both of which have come at the “racket” of Duke.

“There is not a whole lot to say, other than they just simply out played us today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We didn’t play our best tennis, but Duke had a lot to do with that. They did not give us anything; they definitely played a clean match.”

Singles
1. #6 Mallory Cecil (DU) def. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) 6-2, 6-1
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu def. #37 Ellah Nze (DU) 6-3, 6-3
3. #30 Reka Zsilinszka (DU) def. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) 6-4, 6-2
4. #91 Amanda Granson (DU) def. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. #122 Melissa Mang (DU) vs. Gabriela Mejia (UM) 6-2, 3-6 DNF
6. Jessi Robinson (DU) vs. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) 4-6, 6-3, 0-3 DNF

Doubles competition
1. #22 Granson/Mang (DU) def. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) 8-4
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. #53 Robinson/Cecil (DU) 8-1
3. Zsilinszka/Nze (DU) def. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) 8-6

May 17, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...