Tennis

UCLA outmatches Canes 4-1, season over for men’s tennis

No. 7 UCLA (20-4) took the doubles point and three singles matches to end No. 22 Miami’s season Thursday night in the Round of 16 match at Texas A&M’s George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas.

The Hurricanes (16-9) had won 10 of their last 12 matches.

“In order to beat a team like UCLA you have to play six extraordinary singles matches and great doubles,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “They took it to us in doubles. I think we were a bit nervous early on and UCLA has the experience of being here before. You need that to get used to this type of pressure and atmosphere. Regardless, I’m so proud of this team and what they’ve accomplished this season.”

Four-time All-American Daniel Vallverdu will play in the NCAA Men’s Tennis Singles Championships from May 20-25 at Texas A&M for the third straight year. Last season he advanced to the Round of 32, and the Round of 16 as a sophomore.

“Our seniors – David and Dani – have been great for this Miami program,” Rincon said. “They have been fantastic in helping to lead this program to where it is today. They have been leaders, and it has been a pleasure to coach every day they’ve been with us.”

Singles
1. Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) vs. Daniel Vallverdu (UM) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
2. Haythem Abid def. David Rosenfeld (UM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Carl Sundberg (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso def. Keith Crowley (UM) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Michael Look (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nick Meister (UCLA) vs. Ignacio Taboada (UM) 7-5, 1-6, 1-0
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 4

Doubles
1. Look/—- (UCLA) vs. #38 Daniel Vallverdu/David Rosenfeld (UM) 4-5, DNF
2. Amit Inbar/—- (UCLA) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (UM) 8-4
3. —-/—- (UCLA) def. Sundberg/Crowley (UM) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2

*This story will be updated when more information is available

May 14, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...