Tennis

Canes sweep FIU 4-0, head to Round of 16

For the second consecutive day, No. 6 Miami swept its regional opponent 4-0.

The victim this time around was local rival and No. 29 Florida International (19-6) Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

It didn’t seem like it would be a cake walk for the Hurricanes (25-4) during doubles competition, however, when their second and third pairings trailed 5-4. Fortunately, freshman Gabriela Mejia and junior Claudia Wasilewski rallied back with an 8-6 clinching point in the third spot.

“I wasn’t too happy with the way the girls came out in doubles,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They were playing not to lose rather than to win. We weren’t moving, we weren’t feisty. I think maybe the moment got to a few girls and that’s to be expected.”

In singles third-ranked Julia Cohen cruised in the first set and held on in the second for another straight set victory in the first position. No. 31 Bianca Eichkorn and Mejia provided the other two singles victories for the Canes.

“If we won this we’d head to NCAA’s Sweet 16 so there was a little bit of pressure,” Cohen said. “We all thought they [FIU] were going to play a little bit better because last time we played them it was 6-1 so we were prepared.”

Miami will head to College Station, Texas to face the winner of the Los Angeles, Ca. regional on Friday morning in the Round of 16. If the Hurricanes advance to the quarterfinals, there could be a rematch with No. 3 Duke, which beat UM 4-3 in the ACC Championship last month.

“We definitely have them on our radar, but we’re going to have to play good tennis,” Yaroshuk-Tews. “Whenever you play a PAC-10 team, you’re going to have to be ready to play.”

Singles
1. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) def. #79 Liset Brito (FIU) 6-0, 6-4
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) vs. #98 Mariana Muci (FIU) 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
3. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Maria Spenceley (FIU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) vs. Maria Dolores Pazo (FIU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Priscilla Castillo (FIU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) vs. Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished

Doubles
1. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UMW) def. Muci/Pazo (FIU) 8-3
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UMW) vs. Liset Brito/Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-7, unfinished
3. Mejia/Wasilewski (UMW) def. Castillo/Spenceley (FIU) 8-6

Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,5)

May 9, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...