UM takes precautions against H1N1 ‘Swine’ Flu during Commencement

At a time when many visitors are coming to the University of Miami’s campus for graduation, UM is taking certain precautions to stop the spread of H1N1.

An H1N1 crisis team has been established to monitor the outbreak and consider precautions to prevent the virus. The team maintains regular contact with the local Departments of Public Health.

“Our team has met multiple times in the past week and we have been in contact with the campus police and the entire staff,” Pat Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, said. “We just want to educate the students about the virus. We are taking very proactive measures to ensure the safety of our campus.”

The Student Health Service will remain open seven days a week until Commencement on May 17and will extend its hours if needed.

Individuals should contact the Student Health Service if they have a fever and respiratory illness. Furthermore, they should refrain from attending classes and work and limit contact with others.

Furthermore, President Donna Shalala will not shake hands with students as they receive their diploma because the virus spreads through personal contact much like a standard seasonal flu.

Although treatable, the virus can have serious consequences if left unattended.

There has been no reported cases of H1N1 on campus.

The Student Health Service can be contacted at (305) 284-9100.

More information are can be found on the University website at http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,66286-1,00.html.

May 7, 2009

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...