Football, Tennis

Torretta to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former University of Miami quarterback Gino Torretta has been selected as a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Torretta is the fourth Hurricane player to be selected for induction, joining Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Ted Hendricks (1987) and coaches Andy Gustafson (1985) and Jack Harding (1980).

Others to be inducted include Tim Brown (WR, Notre Dame), Major Harris (QB, West Virginia) and Chris Spielman (LB, Ohio State).

A key factor in Miami’s national championship-contending teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Torretta unanimously claimed First Team All-America honors, the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards in 1992.

He finished his Miami career with eleven school passing records, including career attempts (991), completions (555), yards (7,690), total offense (7,772), longest pass (99 yards to Horace Copeland vs. Arkansas, an NCAA record) and most passing yards in a game (485 vs. San Diego State).

May 4, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...