Football, Tennis

Torretta to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former University of Miami quarterback Gino Torretta has been selected as a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Torretta is the fourth Hurricane player to be selected for induction, joining Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Ted Hendricks (1987) and coaches Andy Gustafson (1985) and Jack Harding (1980).

Others to be inducted include Tim Brown (WR, Notre Dame), Major Harris (QB, West Virginia) and Chris Spielman (LB, Ohio State).

A key factor in Miami’s national championship-contending teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Torretta unanimously claimed First Team All-America honors, the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards in 1992.

He finished his Miami career with eleven school passing records, including career attempts (991), completions (555), yards (7,690), total offense (7,772), longest pass (99 yards to Horace Copeland vs. Arkansas, an NCAA record) and most passing yards in a game (485 vs. San Diego State).

May 4, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...