Baseball

Canes win first game at BC, 5-1

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez (6-3) pitched seven innings of one-run ball as No. 13 Miami defeated Boston College 5-1 Friday afternoon at Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Junior first baseman Jason Hagerty drove in two and sophomore catcher Yasmani Grandal went 3 for 5 with a homer, two runs and two RBI for the Hurricanes (30-15, 14-11).

Closer Kyle Bellamy threw two perfect innings of relief for his ACC-leading 13th save.

Starter JB MacDonald (4-6) gave up three runs on six hits in 6.1 innings in the loss. Leadoff hitter Robbie Anston finished 2 for 4 with a double, and scored on a fielder’s choice off the bat of cleanup batter Mickey Wiswall for the Eagles (28-18, 11-12).

May 1, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced Miami's 2020 schedule on Tuesday a ...

The only school to win the tournament twice, Miami men's basketball team is set to compete in t ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...