Baseball

Canes win first game at BC, 5-1

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez (6-3) pitched seven innings of one-run ball as No. 13 Miami defeated Boston College 5-1 Friday afternoon at Shea Field in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Junior first baseman Jason Hagerty drove in two and sophomore catcher Yasmani Grandal went 3 for 5 with a homer, two runs and two RBI for the Hurricanes (30-15, 14-11).

Closer Kyle Bellamy threw two perfect innings of relief for his ACC-leading 13th save.

Starter JB MacDonald (4-6) gave up three runs on six hits in 6.1 innings in the loss. Leadoff hitter Robbie Anston finished 2 for 4 with a double, and scored on a fielder’s choice off the bat of cleanup batter Mickey Wiswall for the Eagles (28-18, 11-12).

May 1, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...