Student Government Briefs

Attendance policy changes considered
A bill to recommend the standardization of the attendance policy of the University of Miami administration was tabled by Student Government yesterday.

This means that SG will work with the administration over the summer and try to come up with a mutually acceptable bill that will be voted on in the fall.

Currently, excused illness and make-up work are left to the instructor’s discretion.

“This is an effort to make things as equal as possible,” said Kelly Fitzpatrick, a sophomore and the university affairs committee chair. “Why should a student in Arts and Sciences be able to make up work for being absent in a class while a student in a different school does not get that option.”

Members of SG researched other ACC, private and Florida colleges to see their policies on attendance.

“In general, most schools are more explicit on their policies,” Fitzpatrick said. “Florida public schools are much more uniform as they are mandated by laws.”

Swine Flu
Patricia Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, visited SG yesterday and discussed the swine flu. She said that resident advisers have been give hand sanitizer to distribute to students. Commuter students can get bottles of Purell at the University Center.

Additionally, the health center will be open seven days a week.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...