Student Band Profile: Beckham County Trainwreck

Beckham County Trainwreck practices at their place.  MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Beckham County Trainwreck practices at their place. MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Something seems amiss in a house on Placetas Street. The house, located across US-1, seems miles away from the University of Miami. Lexus SUVs and Mercedes Benz coupes don’t sit in the driveway, and the inside isn’t marked by minimalistic, modern design. Instead, green, purple and blue psychedelic sheets hang from the ceiling, separating rooms in a shroud of trippy fashion.

In the back room of the house, racks of guitars line the walls, cases lean precariously against a couch, and packages of D’Addario strings litter the floor. A worn drum kit sits in the corner, with the floor tom supported by a red plastic crate and the ride cymbal missing a chunk of metal.

The five guys of Beckham County Trainwreck, all current or former students at UM, practice in this room once or twice a week. They seem to have a sense of stage presence – bouncing, grinning, grimacing and head-banging to their music – even in their holey t-shirts, baggy jeans and in the middle of pretentious, suburban Coral Gables.

Nick Albury, Ethan Cohen, Kyle Crossland, Karl Fagerstrom and Rob Faulstich officially came together as Beckham Country Trainwreck in 2008. Their sound is a kind of “rock-funk-jam-with-not-so-shitty-country,” says Cohen, a senior majoring in business. Yet Fagerstrom, a senior studying jazz percussion, and Faulstich, a junior majoring in entrepreneurship, played in metal bands in high school, Cohen only played blues, and Crossland cites some acoustic influences.

This “mash-up” as Faulstich calls it, works well for the guys of Beckham County Trainwreck. According to Albury, who withdrew from UM last year, the band has “a particular writing style. Each song is in a different genre, but has the same style.”

He and Cohen harmonize their guitar parts while Fagerstrom and Faulstich challenge each other with syncopated rhythms on drums and bass, respectively. Crossland yells, whispers and sways, depending on the vibe of the song.

Beckham County Trainwreck plans on recording some of their songs in the next few weeks to release an EP in the near future. Other goals include playing at festivals. The idea appeals to Crossland, a junior majoring in music business, because “it’s a bunch of music lovers all in one place.”

But they’re willing to start local.

“Miami’s rock scene is definitely cause for concern,” Cohen said. They brought their funk-jam-rock to the UC Patio earlier in April, when they opened for the Ying Yang Twins and they frequent Bougainvillea’s, a small bar and music venue in South Miami.

“We’ll play for anyone who appreciates our music,” Faulstich said. “We’re not tailoring our music to fill anyone’s needs.”

If You Go:

What: Beckham County Trainwreck

When: Saturday, May 2 at 8-11 p.m.

Where: Bougainvillea’s, 7221 SW 58th Ave. Miami, FL

Cost:

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/bctrainwreck.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...